It has been one month since we moved to Australia, a month
and a half since we left home, and three and a half months since we moved out
of our apartment. I cannot believe how much time has flown by.
I was chatting with a coworker the other day (she moved with
her husband to Australia in January) and asked her when she really started to
feel homesick. She said right around the one-month mark-- you’re finally
feeling like this is no longer an extended vacation but rather your new home.
I’m feeling that. It seems like everything I smell reminds me of home and I
associate everything I see with past memories. The other day, I told my boss
that his smell that day reminded me of home… he was kind of taken aback by this
comment and thought I was a little kooky. Oh well. I know it will get better
but I am just embracing these feelings while I have them.
I think we are finally getting the knack of things. Josh is
right in the midst of school and really liking it. I am so happy he has found
his niche. His classes are really challenging his beliefs and he is enjoying
wrestling through these things. I am enjoying seeing him be so studious. He is
still looking for work; he probably has applied to over 70 different places.
(He is such a hard worker!) I think the hardest part is that he is looking for
part-time work, his availability is very specific, and we don’t have a car so
we have to keep it semi-local. We visited a local K-mart that does minor car
repairs and they seemed interested so we are hoping that works out. (K-mart is
a bit different here—seems more like a Sears but with not as much variety
sold.)
I have been in the midst of working like crazy. I put in
46.5 hours this week. I was pretty much beat by the end of my shift on
Saturday. I am happy though and I enjoy everyone I work with. I have connected
a lot better with my bosses (the owners) and so that seems to make life there a
bit more enjoyable. I am also in
the midst of learning how to make coffees… oh what a skill that seems to be! I
hope I get the hang of it! The regular customers are great there too… there is
a Frenchman that I get such a kick out of. A coworker and I convince him to try
our Mochachino and he now can’t seem to get enough of it. Boss likes that I am
making business for him. J
We are starting to make really great friends here as well.
We have connected with our housemates very well. We have also grown pretty
tight with another couple, Cam and Susannah. They are both Aussies. We seem to
do at least one thing every weekend with them. Susannah took me around shopping
after I got the job at the café so I could get some clothes and shoes for work.
She ended up later surprising me with a beautiful silver plated leaf necklace
that I saw at a store and mentioned that I loved. I couldn’t believe it. They
are so generous and willing to do anything to help us out. We are definitely
blessed to have them in our lives.
Josh and I checked out a connect group up the road from us
this past week. The leaders are a couple that Josh knew from his previous time
in Australia. He is from Scotland and she is originally from Pennsylvania but moved
out of the country when she was young as her parents were missionaries all over
the world.
We are also happy to have Dylan, one of Josh’s best buds,
here to help us. He continues to connect us with new people and he is also willing
to do whatever to help us out. We love him.
The weather is slowly getting warmer. Apparently yesterday
was the first day of spring. I am definitely looking forward to days spent at
the beach. Some of our housemates started a vegetable garden. I am thinking
about doing the same as I think $9/kilo for tomatoes is OUTRAGEOUS. I also
cannot wait for our laundry, which we hang out on the line, to be dry in a mere
ten minutes rather than it’s current time of several hours.
I am sure there is plenty more I could say but I’ll keep it
for another post.
Love to you all! We miss you heaps!
Here are two photos from a double-date with Cam and Sus to
Wowcow Frozen Yoghurt. I was stoked to finally get some good ice cream! :)
So fun that you've made some great friends! :) Love that you got some good ice-cream too... nothing like ice-cream to help homesickness. :) In all seriousness, I hope the homesickness will go away soon. You are so brave to be doing this and tackling your new job so well! xo
ReplyDelete