Living, Driving, and Jobs
LIVING
I said to Josh the other day, “I feel like we are moving
backwards in our living situation.” We have shifted from living in our own
little apartment as a newly married couple to now back living with a bunch of
college students. Oh well. It is saving us money.
We are currently living with six other girls: a Canadian, an
American, a Chilean and three Aussies. People say, “Six girls, huh?” I always
respond, “Ya, well, it’s better than six college boys!” These girls are pretty
settled, all 21+, and “sparkling” clean.
They all are great. Let’s just say, there is never a dirty dish left in
the sink. That should say it all.
We live in a rather large room off the kitchen with sliding
doors to the back patio. Furniture was included. The only things we ended up
having to purchase were sheets, pillows and a comforter. We share a bathroom
with Stephie, the Chilean girl. It ends up being a pretty great setup.
The house is pretty huge… definitely enough room to fit all
eight of us; we are hardly ever all here though. This works out for us pretty
well for now.
DRIVING
Driving has been a bit of an adjustment. They drive on the
other side of the road so for the first day I was gasping at every turn as I
was thinking we were turning on the wrong side. Sitting in the front seat was
so weird; I kept trying to slam on the breaks and grip the steering wheel. Our
Aussie friend, Dylan, had a bit of a chuckle at me.
Australia also has a thing for roundabouts; they use them
instead of traffic lights as keeps the flow of traffic continuous. If you have
hard time with car sickness, this is not the country for you… the roundabouts
are around every corner! I am still having a hard time deciphering which way to
look for oncoming traffic in those things.
Mal, our Canadian roommate, let me drive the other day. I
didn’t ask, mind you… she offered! I cheerfully and nervously accepted. Josh
was not keen on it. Her car is a little Holden Barina… it’s comparable to an
old four-door Ford Festiva. It is a standard so that made for some extra fun.
The stick is in your left hand verses your right. So, not only was I learning to
drive on the other side of the road, but also had to figure out how to do stick
on the opposite side. The blinkers are also on the opposite side too so every
time I indicated to turn, I was turning on the windshield wipers. Ha. I did ok
with the roundabouts (as there is about five of them in the half mile we took
to the store) but as far as how I did, let’s just say… we made it to the
grocery store and Josh has determined that I need way more practice.
JOBS
Job hunting has been a bit stressful. I need to keep in mind
that it has only been a week that we have been here. As I mentioned before, we
have had some issues with my visa so we are waiting on an approval from the
government for me to work. Because we have no car, we are trying to keep within
walking distance. I have applied to a few cafes around the area, the preschool
at Hillsong Church, and a couple of other childcare places online. The most
success I have had was from an ice skating rink down the road that needs
someone to do birthday parties. At this point, I’ll take what I can get.
Josh has applied at a few places in the area as well. I
think he is waiting until he starts classes this week to figure out what would
be the best for him.
Keep us in your prayers. We have had some setbacks and we are
trying to stay positive. God is still in control.
No comments:
Post a Comment