The Cafe
So… I (Laura) got a job. Yay!! (Everyone should be cheering
with excitement! Hehe) I work at a cafe about two miles from our house. Since
we don’t have a car I end up walking to and from it, which ends up being a nice
added exercise. I started working there last Friday and I really like it. It’s
a very fast-paced environment so the time flies by. As Josh is doing school, he will only be working part-time;
I will end up having to get another job to supplement us. This job works out
pretty great though because I only work until 1:30/2pm and so I have the
afternoons free to do something else.
The café has AMAZING coffee. Australia, in general, has
probably the best coffee I have ever tasted. I have heard from others that when
they went home to the States, that they were so bummed to go back to the coffee
there. As a perk of the job, I can have as many coffee drinks daily as I would
like as well as any sandwich or wrap. What people consider a regular coffee is
a bit different over here; you can either have a “flat white” or a “long
black.” The “flat white” is the closest to what we would say is a regular
coffee yet seems to be far more fancy; the “long black” is similar to what we
call an “Americano.” Frankly, I am keener on the cappuccino but they are really
all good.
For the most part, the people I work with are great. There
are a lot of Hillsong students there as well as some Hillsong attendees. I work
with a girl named Jess who is from Washington state and she is in the same boat
as me; her husband is doing school full-time and she is working. She has been
super helpful in my training process. There are a few girls that can make work
unpleasant.; let’s just say that I am really learning how to show Christ’s
love. J
Apparently, they hate newbies because they are “annoying.” Hmm. Who knows.
My boss is an interesting character. He is only 25 but
definitely looks a bit older. He comes across very serious but yet has a very
sarcastic side. I am trying to find a balance of keeping work work and learning
how to joke. He has come up with a new nickname for me: Laussie (pronounce
Law-see)… I have NO idea where that came from. Ha.
The regulars (customers, that is) know I am new and tend to
give me a bit of a hard time, yet they are still very understanding. I have
gotten a few comments from some of them that I look European. One even said I
look Eastern European. I have never heard that before in my life. Interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment